Whale Watching Sri Lanka
Whale watching tours in Mirissa and Trincomalee
What to expect:
- Go to the deep ocean by boat to see the Blue Whales - The biggest animal ever lived on the Earth.
- Encounter some of the most unique aquatic living creatures - Stingrays, Dolphins, giant Sea Turtles, Flying Fish...
- Free transfer from Mirissa.
- Can be combined with South tour: Turtle Farm, River Safari, Galle Fort.
- Can go and stay in a luxurious yacht.
Why i should join Whale watching in Sri Lanka?
Sri Lanka, known as the pearl in Indian Ocean, is famous for its wonderful coast with several whale's route migrations.
Whale watching in Sri Lanka is one of the great opportunities for those who would like to have a close look at the biggest animal ever lived on the Earth- Blue Whale since the dinosaur time.
This giant mammal left in limited amount will appear above the water surface and gracefully disappear in depth, teasing the audience with luxurious tails and multimeter fountains of water.
The uniqueness of the spectacle is that you can watch whales and dolphins in their natural habitat from a distance of 20- 50 meters.
There are dozens of types of whales and dolphins as well as thousands of other unique species such as Stingrays, giant Sea Turtles, Flying Fish..
When is the best time to join Whale watching?
During entire year, you can travel by boat to particular ports ( Mirisse - south coast of the island is the best place to see blue whales during the winter, Trincomalee - during the summer) to catch the sight of Blue Whale and all other intriguing aquatic living creatures.
However, from December to January, you will get the highest chance of encountering the ocean's giants - Blue Whales.
If you are lucky enough, you can witness the Blue Whale jumping out of the water, showing off its admirable body.
During summer season, whale watching can be conducted in another port called Trincomalee.
How to join Whale watching?
Because whale watching can only be launched in early morning, you should be ready to get up early if you live far from Mirisse and Tricomalee.
The boat which takes you to whale watching locations will start at 6:00 am every morning.
There are two options offered for those who want to experience whale and dolphin watching.
Firstly, you can travel by real fishing boat of local fishermen with a big group of people. For this option, the price will be 50 usd/ pax.
Secondly, you can travel by private luxurious yatch during haft day and the price will be 100 usd/pax.
The interesting facts about Blue Whale:
- The Blue Whale is the largest animal ever to have lived on earth.
- Despite being so massive, this giant of the ocean feeds on some of the smallest marine life – tiny shrimp like animals called krill. A single adult blue whale can consume 36,000 kg of krill a day.
- Incredibly, Blue Whales are graceful swimmers cruise the ocean at over 8km/h, and can reach speeds of over 30km/h.
- They mainly catch their food by diving, and descend to depths of approximately 500 m.
- Blue whales have few predators but are known to fall victim to attacks by sharks and killer whales, and many are injured or die each year from impacts with large ships.
Whale watching tour can be combined with South Tour. You can visit Turtle Farm, Galle Fort, River Safari.